Thursday, October 2, 2008
I cannot even count how many zucchini soup recipes I have tried in my life. The results were never satisfactory. Most of recipes turned out bland, tasteless and watery. Other called for strong spices and other ingredients which made the zucchini flavor almost unpalatable. I was already losing hope that soup made of zucchini (which is one of my favorite vegetables, by the way) might taste good at all.
Today’s recipe comes from Cuisine Gourmande magazine (the same one from which I made Zucchini and Pesto Lasagna a while ago). Disappointed with all the zucchini soup recipes I had tried before, I didn’t expect much from this one either. The addition of curry powder didn’t seem like a good idea for me; too spicy, I thought. Still, I decided to give it a try. The result really surprised me. The soup came out delicious, with wonderful creamy consistency and perfectly balanced flavors. There’s nothing I would add or remove from it. The recipe is just perfect. The delicate flavor of coconut milk goes perfectly with the mild zucchini taste. Also using curry powder turned out to be a good idea, thanks to its spicy flavor, the soup doesn’t taste bland. I loved the idea of topping the soup with slices of zucchini (they were raw in the original recipe, I cooked them slightly with olive oil), their crunchy texture gives a nice contrast to the creamy consistency of the soup. Delicious!!!
Indian Zucchini Soup
800 g zucchini
2 small onions
1 clove of garlic, crushed
3 teaspoons curry powder
200 ml coconut milk
500 ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Dice the onion.
2. Wash and dry all the zucchini (do not peel them). Reserve one nice small zucchini, dice the remaining ones.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions and sauté for two minutes. Stir in curry powder.
4. Add garlic and zucchini. Pour in coconut milk and vegetable stock. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, slice the reserved zucchini. Heat a little bit of olive oil in a separate pan, add the zucchini and sauté for one to two minutes.
6. Puree the soup with a hand blender. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
7. Serve individual bowls topped with slices of zucchini and a pinch of curry powder.
Recipe in Polish:
Indyjska zupa z cukinii