Monday, October 6, 2008

White Chocolate - Blueberry Cheesecake

Even though I’d usually eat a bar of dark, rather than white chocolate, in baked goods and desserts I definitely prefer the taste of the white one. White chocolate pairs especially well with different berries; the lightly tart flavor of the fruit balances its sweetness and makes the chocolate less bland.

White chocolate-blueberry cheesecake is certainly one of the best cheesecakes I’ve ever eaten. It’s very moist, wet, in fact, and incredibly creamy, with well balanced sweetness and delicate white chocolate flavor. I’ve found recipe for the white chocolate–blueberry cheesecake in Gardening Life magazine, but I didn’t follow it exactly*

I used wild blueberries here, but regular blueberries will do as well.

White Chocolate-blueberry Cheesecake

FOR THE CRUST:
100 g Petit Beurre biscuits

80 g butter, melted

FOR THE FILLING:
3 packages 375-g fresh cheese (Liberté old style cottage cheese or quark)

1 cup granulated sugar

¼ teaspoon salt

1 vanilla bean
4 eggs

8 oz (225 g) white chocolate

½ cup blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C)
2. Line an 9-inc
h springform pan with aluminum foil
3. Crush the biscuits in a food processor. Mix with melted butter and press into prepared pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Set aside.
4. Increase oven temperature to 450 °F (230 °C)

5. Split the vanilla bean lengthways, scrape out the seeds. Mix with the cheese. Set aside.

6. Melt the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn't touch the water

7. Using an electric mixer, beat the cheese until very smooth. Add the sugar and salt and beat until well combined.

8. Beat in eggs, adding one at a time and scraping th
e sides as needed until the mixture is smooth.
9. Mix in white chocolate. Fold in blueberries.
10. Spoon the cheese mixture onto the prepared crust. Bake on the bottom rack of oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 210 F (100 °C) and continue to bake for 1 hour. When done, the cheesecake should be mostly solid around the edges but still jiggle a little in the center when you shake the pan.

11. Immediately run a thin knife around the edge of the cake.

12. Cool the cake in the oven with the door ajar for 1 hour.
13. Remove from oven and chill overnight in the fridge.

* The original reci
pe uses graham cracker crumbs for the crust, and cream cheese and vanilla extract in the filling.




Recipe in Polish:
Sernik z białą czekoladą i jagodami

6 comments:

Komarka said...

Karolciu, jak to letnio u Ciebie! Ja niestety na jagody będę musiała poczekać do następnego lata, ale teraz przynajmniej sobie popatrzę :)

Waniliowa Chmurka said...

Piękne zdjęcia!
Oj dobrze,że przypomniałaś-chyba czas rozmrozić pierwszą paczuszkę jagód;_)

Marija said...

Heavenly!

Mom said...

Well I just baked this and it got rather brown on the top. I only baked the the first part at 450 for 12 min then I turned it down to 200 and only baked it 25 min and it is baked for sure. And like I said brown on the top. I have baked many cheesecakes before so I just wanted to make this note. I will let you know after we eat it how it tastes.

Mom said...

I have not tasted it yet but I baked it and after the first 12 minutes it was showing some brown around the edges so I turned it down to 210 and after only 30 minutes it had gotten browner and when I check it it was done. just fyi

Jemarie71 said...

This is the third time I've made this cheesecake, and I have to say "it's one of my favorites!"....only thing I do differently is, instead of one cup melted chocolate to the cheesecake mixture, I only use 1/2 cup. Then with the other cup, I pour on top cheesecake........divine!