Saturday, March 8, 2008

Corn Soup


I had never been a fan of corn. So, when my friend, M. had given me a recipe for corn soup, I put it away with no intention of using it. A few years later, at a fair in Quebec city, it happen to me to order a spinach tart with which I was served cream corn soup. The soup really surprised me. It had beautiful pale yellow color and tasted much much better than any other corn dish I’ve ever tried. In fact it was one of the best cream soups, I’ve ever eaten. Back in Poland I looked for the recipe my friend had given to me, and decided to make corn soup myself. The soup came out mild and creamy, very similar to the one I had eaten in Quebec. The only difference is that the soup I had in Canada was served plain, while my friend’s soup is served with leeks and carrots, which makes it even more delicious :)



When I found out that Zorra from
1 x umrühren bitte
blog has asked food bloggers for cooking yellow dishes for International Women's Day, I thought right away about making the corn soup. Zorra has chosen yellow as it’s the color of Mimosa, a flower which is given to women on their day in some countries. Also in Poland women receive flowers, chocolates and other gifts on their day (the flowers don’t really have to be yellow though). I’ve already received 4 boxes of chocolate today, a bottle of wine and, even thought there’s no tradition of giving yellow flowers in Poland, I've got a beautiful yellow tulip from my husband:)


Corn Soup

1 can (400 g ) corn
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced
½ cup heavy cream
½ l veg
etable stock
1 tbsp butter
½ leek, sliced
salt

white pepper

paprika


1. Boil sliced carrots in lightly salted water until desired tenderness. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, just until the onion starts to soften.
3. Add corn and vegetable stock and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the corn is tender.
4. Remove from the heat and puree using a hand blender until smooth.
5. Return the soup to the pan; add cream, leek and carrots. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes or until the leek is tender.
6. Season with salt, white pepper, and paprika.

Przepis po polsku:
Zupa kukurydziana

3 comments:

zorra said...

I need to try this soup soon. Sounds delicious and looks great.

Thank you for your participation in IWD.

Anonymous said...

I know it's late, but I made this soup as an appetizer for our Thanksgiving meal and it's delicious! Very savory and subtle flavor. I definitely recommend it!

Karolina Beaudet said...

Joan,
I'm delighted to hear you liked it, thank you for the comment!!!